Last night I was reminded of how much a simple task or minute of my day can make someone feel special. My friend Kelsey and I love to do spontaneous things to try and spice up our time hanging out. We decided to each write down three different things for us to do on different papers, fold them up then draw the papers and complete the task at hand. This turned out to be extremely fun and not to mention rewarding. One of my favorites was buy a disposable camera and ask random people to take our picture with it. This was so funny because most people have forgotten how to even use a disposable camera. The looks of different people trying to figure it out was priceless. I was thinking today about when we first started doing it, we bothfelt really shy about asking a stranger to take our picture. It was funny how much courage we had to build up just on this little activity. Later on in the night, another one was go to waffle house, order something, then ask the waitress how we can pray for her. As we sat at the table, we both were kinda scared to ask. Scared. Scared to ask someone how we can pray for them. What is wrong with that? A lot. Finally I built up the courage. She approached our table and with a nervous smile on my face I said, "Mam, is there anything that we could pray for you about?" She gave this surprising look but then grinned from ear to ear and said, "yes actually." She ended up sharing with us about a couple of tough situations going on in her life. By the end of the conversation, this lady was so appreciative. You could tell that by that simple question we had made her night and might of even been part of a bigger picture that we didn't even realize. Courage. That's all it takes. Its quite simple actually, but we tend to make it hard. I was so blessed by the situation. When I allow the Lord to use me, it is such a blessing and it just reminds me that little things such as stepping out of my comfort zone for a few seconds of my day can have an impact on someone else. This reminds me of a quote from the movie We Bought a Zoo. Kelsey and I recently saw it in theatres. "Sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage, twenty seconds of embarrassing bravery." Courage. Bravery. Willingness. And sometimes because of these, a night full of fun and laughter can turn out to be a humbling and rewarding evening of giving of my self to a woman who is just looking for truth and for someone to care enough to take twenty seconds and just ask.

No comments:
Post a Comment