Background

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Royal Hope Academy

Waking up after a night at Return ministries was like a dream. I kept replaying it in my head because I never wanted to forget it. My first encounter with children in Uganda will always hold a special place in my heart.  The food they serve us at the hotel is actually pretty good. We've eaten a lot of carbs like rice and bread and noodles. I'm pretty sure the meat I ate yesterday was goat. It was really chewy so I didn't eat much of it. They serve a lot of fruit though which is delicious. Our sleeping conditions were probably the best we'll have the whole trip. I was in a room with Niki. We each had our own small bed. Our room had a bathroom in it. The toilet didn't flush and the shower just landed on the ground with no curtain or anything. They also gave us a small basin to bathe in if we liked. It was very interesting. After breakfast yesterday, we left to go to Royal Hope Academy. The main road is paved a little but then we turn down red dirt roads. You see lots of people with stuff on their heads  just walking around. The houses and buildings are really rough. We pulled up to this gate and at once 200 children came running through singing " Welcome to Uganda. This is Africa!" I remember looking at them and they all have dirty feet and torn clothes but then I look up and see their faces and they are shining with happiness. It really put me into perspective of my life. These children have nothing really but yet they are so content and happy. I didn't really understand it until later, but I'll get there. The second you get off you have a few children that come up to you and claim you as their muzungu. I had two little girls grab hold of me. One was older about seven or eight. Her name was "bushes". Or that's how I understood it. She was very protective of me and all day long wanted to hold my hand and not let anyone else. I had to explain to her that I could be shared and she gave me this frustrating look that was actually quite adorable. The other little girl was I think around two. She was so tiny. I could never quite understand her name, but I know her face. I know her smile and I know how bright her eyes get when she looks up at me and I smile at her and she nervously smiles back. She was very timid at first but she crawled up in my lap and would just sit there holding my other hand. Okay I'm getting ahead of myself... We got off the bus and were brought to this chapel. The pastor got up and welcomed us. The school was started by a girl named Rebekah who is American and young 20s. Her story is very similar to Katie Davis'. We never got to meet her because she has maleria. Which she needs lots of prayers! But we all believe the Lord will restore her health. After the welcome, the kids choir came up and sang and danced. It was so sweet. But, what captured me the most and what I was talking about earlier is how they worship. To see a hundred kids raising hands and kneeling in prayer really convicted me. These kids' ages can range anywhere from two to high school age, and they all worship so passionately. At one point, the song stopped and you could hear hundreds of children lifting up prayers to God. It was truly inspiring in every way. I sat with these two girls on my lap just in awe of their hearts for God. They sang and danced for about two hours, and the whole time they are praising God wholeheartedly. It's amazing. As we were watching this, one of the girls fell asleep in my lap. My friend Lauren said its incredible to think how few times they have probably slept in someone's arms. I have videos I'll post later of the worship when I have better wifi. After the worship, we went outside and played in their courtyard by the school. I got in a circle with some of the kids and played this dancing game. They laughed at me in the middle when it was my turn to sing and dance and I had no idea what they were saying so made up my own words :) I did learn a lesson though when it came to handing out stickers. I brought out some to a few kids and the next thing I knew I was being attacked by what seemed like a mob haha but with help, I was able to manage. After this, we split up into groups. I helped the little kids color and then painted their nails. After their nails were painted, they would jump up and down with their hands waving photo photo. They were so proud of their colorful nails. The rest of the day was filled with lots of hugs and pictures. This one boy handed me a baby then ran off. It was interesting when this lady said just put him down someone will help him find his way. I could go on for hours with stories but I will refrain. We are traveling five hours today to Kerith Ministries. God has been so good! My heart continues to be filled just when I think it might overflow. :)  Love, one happy MUZUNGU! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment